Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Some thoughts about newspapers and changes I have seen

One of the tasks I do daily after I have glanced at the articles in the Herald is to take a look at who is advertising and in which sections. Those that are using print are a starting point for leads for my sales team.

I noticed in the Herald business on Tuesday 8th July 2008 that there appeared to only one ad, ie a Pacific Blue ad. The rest were internal promotions for the publication. My observation over the last year or so is the "news" papers have had to change their focus. Less and less are people like me (connected to the web at home),using the paper to get news. We get the latest news via the web. I believe that this fundamentally changes the type of reader. If I am not reading the paper for "news" then what am I reading them for. Apart from leads I do read it for opinion and entertainment. What has concerned me is the quality of the opinion I read. My view is that not all reporters have the skill to produce great opinion pieces. It feels like the so called "old fashioned reporters" are a dying breed.

If I were a advertiser that uses newspapers as a medium I would be watching and seeking greater data on who reads the papers and the context in which their advert might be seen.

No comments: